top of page

Early Intervention Services 

What are Early Intervention Services?

Early intervention services are provided to children birth through three who are showing delays in their development.

How will I know if my child needs Early Intervention Services?

After a referral is made through the Help Me Grow system, an early intervention teacher will contact you to make a home visit and complete an intake and screening.  If there are concerns with the child’s development, an evaluation will be completed with your consent. The state of MN sets eligibility criteria to qualify for services. 

Who may be on my child’s early intervention team?

Staff for the Early Intervention Program is based out of the Benton-Stearns Education District in Sartell, MN, However, Benton-Stearns Ed District Staff services families who reside in our six-member school districts: Sartell, Sauk Rapids-Rice, Foley, ROCORI, Holdingford and Kimball. 

Your child’s team will depend on his or her needs.  Team members may include one or more of the following:

  • Early intervention teacher

  • Speech-Language Pathologist

  • Physical Therapist

  • Occupational Therapist

  • Teacher of the deaf/hard of hearing

  • Teacher of the visually impaired

  • Autism specialist

All of the above team members have specialized training in working with children who have developmental delays. 

What do services look like?

Most children receive visits from early intervention team members either at home or in childcare. The team uses evidence-based practices which involve a family centered approach.  With your input an Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) will be written outlining the evaluation information as well as your family’s concerns, priorities and resources.  You will identify areas to work on and together with the early intervention team, learn strategies to address these needs. 

Parents are the child’s first and most important teachers.  The team has been in trained in using coaching strategies to support parents in building confidence in helping their child all day, every day in regular routines. 


What if my child is over the age of 3?

Children age three and older, should be referred to their local school district. If the child meets eligibility and is identified as having a developmental delay, they can be serviced in their local school districts in an Early Childhood programs. Listed below are the districts and the buildings which house their EC programs:


  • Sartell – District Service Center 320-656-3701

  • Sauk Rapids/Rice – Hillside Early Childhood Center -320-255-8901

  • Rice Elementary – 320-393-2177

  • Foley Elementary –320- 968-8540

  • Kimball Elementary –320- 398-5425

  • ROCORI – District Education Facility - 320-685-4035

  • Holdingford Elementary–320-746-2221


Still have questions?

Need more information?  Check out- Preschool Special Education link at

Contact: Sue Currens, Early Childhood Supervisor 320-257-7350 

bottom of page